4.24.2007

*she drops the phone... looks at the woman in bed... out the doorway.... starts running down the hall, opposite direction of the man... she looks back, he's following. She rounds a few corners.*

"I have no idea where I'm going..." *She's out of breathe* "... or why I'm running."

*The man catches up to her after stopping to check which way she'd turned more than once.*

"I'm clearly in no shape for this. Look, I really just wanna talk to you. I didn't mean to scare you. S'why I used the phone instead of coming into the room."

"I didn't do anything..."

"Then why are you back here?"

"I didn't have anyplace else better to go." *she bursts into tears*

*The man looks awkward* "Let's get some air, alright?"

*They walk outside and the man offers her a cigarette, she declines, and as he lights it up, she smells the hint of vanilla and clove and takes one anyhow*

"Cops dress a little differently than what I'd expect. A little smarter too."

"Well, I'm a detective and off-duty anyhow." *his cigarette is dangling from his lip and his brownish hair, has been clearly ruffled from the short chase. He pulls his left hand out of his pocket and brushes his hair back. We notice a wedding band on his hand as he does so.* "My name's (tbd)." *She looks at his hand* "It's a hand, you shake it. No handcuffs waiting in t'other, I promise."

*She takes his hands and looks at him for the first time. He looks younger than the lines around his eyes would suggest. Probably 36, 37.* "Isn't your wife worried about you running after girls at supper-time? You said you were off-duty."

"Ex. So, it's none of her business anymore, I s'pose. Can we talk about that girl in there? What happened to her nearly happened to my wife. That's why I'm running around looking for you instead of drinking myself stupid about now. I couldn't catch him after he got to Angela, so she left. You not only caught him, you did exactly what I have been wanting to do for a year now. But you can't go around killing these guys, you know? No matter how much we want to, there's a reason I wear this badge, it means accountability, it means I have to take them in and hope they rot."

No comments: